Monday, May 01, 2006

May's Listening and Reading Recommendations




My biggest problem with teacher autobiographies is that they are inevitably going to tell you about all of their successes. The failures are possibly touched on or briefly skimmed over, but never taken apart and analyzed. As a third year English teacher I am leaving a wake of "fall on my face" failures behind me and I know that I will have more before me. In order to continue to be a better teacher I need to better know what I have done wrong. Frank McCourt isn't afraid to let it all out in Teacher Man. He accepts his failures and analyzes them so that any readers reading from his book learn as well.

In The Reins is another compilation album between a singer songwriter and a singerless band. Iron and Wine (respectively Sam Beam, with the occasional assistance from his sister Sarah) has come together with the band Calexico for this 7 song EP. The harmonies are beautiful, the music can be lonely and sparse then instantly moving to that of a mariachi wedding performance.

No comments: