Monday, June 11, 2007

Why Jogging Is Stupid (Part 3: Jogging...and kickboxing and oreo cookies and two old guys who talk in front of my building)




So now I jog. I’m not a jogger per se. Calling myself a jogger would suggest I take it seriously. I don’t know if I take anything seriously enough that I am capable of using a verb to describe myself. In terms of jogging I can quit at any given moment and let’s be realistic, I probably will. (I am a bit of a quitter, which totally discounts my previous statement.) I jog purely for aesthetic purposes. Essentially I jog to stay pretty.

Somewhere along the way I went from the tall, lanky, deathly skinny kid to the tall, lanky kid with the beer belly. It was a style that wasn’t working for me. I had picked up a pretty steady smoking habit somewhere between humiliating myself in the sports arena and waking up in the mornings at the age of 24 and hacking like an old man. I separated myself from cigarettes (one area where I wasn’t a good quitter) by the substitution of Oreo cookies. Whenever I had a craving for a cigarette I would grab a handful of cookies. For the most part it worked, my lungs were getting so healthy that my pants stopped fitting me. I humored my new space consuming lungs for a while and bought new pants and baggy shirts. It was all breathing room for my new lungs.

When I could no longer deny the fact that I was getting fat, I joined a gym. I became a “gym guy”. I tried kickboxing classes. I remember standing around with all of these guys and their greased back ponytails. They were a crossbreed between the Dungeons and Dragons types that were into that role-playing-dragon-fighting nonsense and the hardcore ninja types that have Bruce Lee posters on their dorm room doors. I remember having to partner up for punching and kicking routines. I picked one of the little Dungeon and Dragon elf fellas. He was a little guy with greased back blonde hair, sans the ponytail. He struck me as one of those that was destined to meet his future wife in some on-line fantasy video game.

He introduced himself and seemed friendly enough. I think his name was GorgonBlaster_16, or something along those lines. Gorgon took up the punching bag mitts first in order to properly illustrate where and how the targets were to be held. I started throwing hands like a champ. I was crossing around punching my left into his right and then sending my left into his left. I was keeping him on his toes, letting him know what was going on. He smiled very politely at me throughout the whole ordeal. At one point I began to hear these horrifying wheezing noises. I began to feel sorry for the lad, I sympathized with his fearful hyper ventilation at the raw brutality that was raining down on his padded little hands. It wasn’t until tunnel vision began to set in and my legs and arms began to go wobbly, that I realized I was the one making all the damn noise. Shortly after realization set in, I did something that I’m not proud of and I’m not entirely sure it had ever been accomplished before, but I managed to KO myself. I had been the one throwing all the punches and yet somehow there I was, flat on my back. Amidst the disembodied questions floating around such as, “Dude, did you hit him?”, “What happened?”, and “I didn’t touch him he was the one doing all of the punching.” I quit kickboxing.

On my way out the door I noticed the folks jiggling about on the treadmills. They were all wearing headphones and either listening to music or watching television. I looked beyond them to the sea of stationary bicycles, where people were pedaling like mad to get nowhere in particular. Some of them were reading magazines. I’ll be damned, I could read and exercise. But, after a while my gym-phobia set in and I quit that too.

In the end I was able to keep up consistent cardio workouts, either by jogging outside or just simply walking everywhere I went, especially after moving to Spain where I don’t have a car. The other thing that seemed to have helped was that here you can’t buy Oreo Cookies in those big bags, they give you little rationed packages of four. Apparently, they saw me coming.


So, why is jogging stupid? It occurred to me one day when I went out for a run and two old men were outside my building having a conversation. I got out there in my little shorts, my t-shirt, my sneakers with the little sports socks poking out over the top and I started to run in no particular direction. When I got to my non-destination I turned around to go home. On the way home I got to the train tracks and had to wait for a passing train. I stood in one place doing that ridiculous little running in place motion that I learned from Scooby-Doo cartoons. I watched the people watching me as the train went by and I found myself wondering what they were thinking. The train was going pretty fast, so maybe they didn’t realize that I was running in place and thought that I was running smack into the train. I imagined them trying to press their faces against the windows as they passed to see if I was really stupid enough to run smack into a speeding train. I became self-conscious and I stopped running in place and just stood there watching the train go by as I deeply gulped in its exhaust desperately searching for oxygen.

After the train passed, I had become comfortable in my sedentary motion and slowly trudged across the tracks. Feeling guilty I tried to find my rhythm, but it was gone. I did sort of a run for a bit, walk for a bit thing the rest of the way home. When I finally made it back the two old men were still in their conversation. Twenty-five minutes ago they watched me come out and dash off in one direction, now they watched as I dragged myself back to the door soaking wet and gasping for air. They stopped long enough to enjoy the spectacle. I had managed to end up exactly where I had started. I didn’t really go anywhere. Essentially I just ran home, but considering I was already there I took the really long way to do it and I had witnesses to this insanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. that's actually kinda deep.