Saturday, September 30, 2006

October Reading and Listening Recommendations




Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes is narrated through the writing of Charlie Gordon, who is mentally retarded and has agreed to undergo experimental testing to enhance his intelligent. The journal is kept in the name of science and illustrates Charlies progression through language and context as he goes from mentally handicapped to a super genius. All the while his progress is being monitored by the progress of a lab rat named Algernon that had undergone the experiment shortly before Charlie.

Lately I've felt the need to dip back into something familiar. What I have found is that I stand alone in my familiarity with The Beastie Boys. I don't know if they never quite made it to Spain, or if they just didn't take. The Sounds of Science is what I've been pushing on some of my non-Beastie running buddies as a solid introduction to the band. The collection includes the hits from 5 of their 6 major releases as well as some tracks from their early releases, such as Pollywog Stew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurry up damnit, I'm trying to get on with my life!
If I can't receive timely information, I'm going back to The Drudge Report and Craig's List.