Saturday, August 05, 2006

While Strolling Through Valencia...The Saga of Yo La Tengo and Starbucks






Marta's biggest complaint since moving to Spain was that she couldn't find a proper iced mocha or Italian soda anywhere. She would often (apologetically) pine for a Starbucks knowing that was more realistic than a Java House ever making its way here. Lo and behold, while strolling through Valencia today we stumbled across the brand new Starbucks. She paused long enough to catch her breath. Feeling torn about going into a Starbucks, I will admit a certain feeling of familiarity washed over me when we walked through the doors. The smell doesn't remind me of coffee, it reminds me of books. It made me think of my endless hours perusing the shelves of Barnes and Noble and Prairie Lights. At the counter I was floored to find the chocolate banana muffins. I might be able to come to terms with this Starbucks. Now I'm going to close my eyes and hope for a Dunkin' Donuts...I'll let you know how this works out for me.

Included are some other pictures we took while walking around today. On a completely unrelated note, I found the Yo La Tengo double disc Prisoners of Love collection at fnac today for 9 euros. There are two retrospective essays in the cd's booklet. The second essay mentions the show that they played with Tortoise here in Valencia at The Roxy in 2001.

No comments: